International Olympic Committee (IOC) is a nonprofit international sports committee established on 23rd June 1894. However, the first Olympics were held in April 1896.
IOC helps in better communication and collaboration between many other organizations – the International Federation, the athletes, the National Olympics Committee, the worldwide Olympics partner, and the United Nations agencies.
Beijing will host both the summer and winter seasons of the Olympic Games. It won the bid for the year 2022, and the 109th Olympic sports were held in three zones – Yanqing, Beijing, and Zhangjiakou.
Since the start of the Olympic Games, Tokyo has undertaken to organize a summer edition for the second time. Tokyo 2020 was the second edition organized on 23rd July 2021. Tokyo 2020 was organized based on the following principles:
- University in diversity
- Achieving the best
- Passing the legacy to the future.
The Olympic event will take place in Paris in July or August 2024. People will embrace the new features and versions of Olympic sports.
The 95 percent –term of the venues shows the legacy and long-term development plan.
Lausanne and Switzerland organized the Winter Youth Olympic Games in 2020. The excellent heritage site lies on the shores of Lake Geneva and in the Vaud Alps.
Buenos Aires 2018
The Southern area was the primary location for the Buenos Aires 2018 Olympic Games. The primary motive of these games was the urban and social developments and bringing people close to the city.
The Olympic games of 2018, PyeongChang, marked a legacy in world history. It gave the game a new horizon where the players were given a chance to show their potential.
These winter sports have a compact history and unique stage. The young generation could achieve superior performance.
Sochi is situated in Krasnodar, one of the largest cities in Russia, with a population of 400,000 people. The Russian Federation hosted the winter games for the first time in 2014 in Sochi.
The Russian Federation organized the game in two clusters – a coastal cluster was chosen for ice events in Sochi and a mountain cluster at Krasnaya Polyana Mountains.
London 2012 events were held at the Olympic Park in east London, the major sports venue in London. These games comprise the four-year Cultural Olympiad.
Around 14,000 athletes from 205 countries joined London in 2012.
The purpose of the IOC is to promote and strengthen the games in society and bring integrity and best practices to every game. It is also dedicated to supporting the Olympic Movement globally. The main principles are:
- University in diversity
- Autonomy and good Governance
- Universality and Solidarity
The goal of the IOC is to keep aside the rivalry and develop harmony among the players. It eliminates any discriminatory practices in the game. While healthily promoting the game, it tries to blend sports with education and culture.
Following are the values.
- Excellence – It encourages people to give their best. It motivates better efforts.
- Friendship – It celebrates every Olympic event by bringing people together from different parts of the world.
- Respect – Every individual is motivated to show affection in different spheres like respect for the rules, co-players, and the public and environment.
Roles of OIC
- It undertakes the education of youth and promotes good Governance. It safeguards the interest of people by banning violence.
- It supports youth education, different organizations, and the development and coordination of sports.
- It preserves autonomy and cooperation with the public and private enterprises. It ensures that peace is maintained throughout the event.
- It promotes political neutrality and preserves the independence of the game.
- It bans discrimination in the game and focuses on fair play.
- It works on the principle of equality between men and women. It encourages women in sports at all levels.
- It takes active steps toward corruption and is dedicated to fighting against doping.
- It makes provision for the medical care and health of the athletes.
Olympic Agenda 2020+5
It consists of the different recommendations and defines the roadmap for the Olympic Movement till 2025.
- It maintains sustainability while arranging the Olympic Games.
- It preserves the athlete’s rights and responsibilities.
- It takes steps to preserve the uniqueness of the game.
- The primary purpose is to attract the best athlete’s world over.
- Construct and promote the proper roads towards the Olympic Games.
- It strengthens safe sports.
- It takes care of the digital engagement with people.
- It works on the revenue generation models.
- It works to promote the Olympic movement while incorporating best practices.